Windows 8, a touch optimized window preceding over windows 7 (2009) and succeeded over window 8.1 (2013). It is a part of Window NT. This window was manufacture on 1st August 2012 and available on 26th October 2012. Major changes introduce in Windows 8 for users better experience.
Earlier users face a lot of difficulties while using this window especially with keypad and mouse instead of touch screen. But later on, there was improvement in its performance and positive response towards the touch screen interface. Around 60 millions windows 8 licenses were sold in January 2013 leaving behind these difficulties.
There are lot of new and advance features introduce in Windows 8.
- It is a touch screen windows interface.
- It includes a faster startup through UEFI and Hybrid boot mode integration.
- Windows store- a new online store where users can download and buy new software.
- It supports USB 3.0 for faster data transfers.
- It supports advanced format hard drives and cloud computing.
- Windows 8 supports near field communications for sharing and communication devices.
- Window explorer- it is now known as File explorer. Ribbon adds in place of command bar. File operation dialogue boxes includes update of detailed statistics, pause file transfer and avoid difficulty while transferring files. Windows 8 includes easy transfer of files and folder by drag and drop from parent folder to the sub folder in the address bar in File Explorer.
- Task Manager- a new modification displays details of running applications and background process. Blue screen of Death with simple and Modern design with less technical information displayed. A heat map showing different colors indicates resource and network usage.
- Safety and security- two new authentication passwords towards the touch screen that are PINs and picture passwords. Family safety offers parental control where parents can keep eye on the activities of their children on the devices. It also provides integrated system recovery through new refresh and reset functions. It also supports the feature of UEFI which uses public key infrastructure to prevent unauthorized programs from infecting the devices.
- Online services- it provides various online services. Users can log in to the Windows with their Microsoft account and can access the services and settings between the devices. It provides Microsoft Sky Drive cloud storage which save the files directly to the Sky Drive.
- Internet explorer 10- it is both desktop and touch optimized app. It supports HTML 5, CSS3 and hardware acceleration. It also includes a version of adobe flash player that is optimized for touch and low power usage.
PCs and Hardware requirement-
|Memory RAM||32 edition- 1 GB
64 edition-2 GB
|Graphic device||Direct x 9||Direct x 10|
|Display screen||N/a||1024 x 768 pixels|
|Input device||Keyboard and mouse||Multi-touch display screen|
|Hard disk space||32 edition-16 GB
64 edition-20 GB
|certification||X 86 system|
|processor||1 GHz clock rate IA-32 or x 64||X 64 architecture second level address translation support|
How to download window 8?
With product key
- First go to the web page http://www.windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
- Then you have to scroll down and have to write 25 characters Windows 8 product key. Your original Windows 8 product key can be present in the box of your windows DVD or can be present on the confirmation email you received at the time when you buy windows 8.
- Then click on the button “install windows 8”.
With ISO file
- Go to the web page http://www.windows.microsoft.com/enus/windows-8/preview.
- Then download an ISO file from that page.
- To use ISO file you have to first burn it. You can either use USB drive or disc to burn it.
- By DVD– in DVD, it takes less time to burn the ISO file. First your DVD should be blank. Then double-click on the ISO file and then choose burn disc image to open the Windows Disc Image Burner window. Now pick the correct DVD burner from the Disc burner. Then click on the burn option to burn the ISO image to disk. When the burning complete, the status description will show the disc image has been successfully burned to disc. You can now use the ISO file turned disc.
- By USB- it takes around 20 minutes to complete the burning. First you have to download Rufus. Rufus is a portable program which works on Windows 10, 8, 7, vista and XP. It will burn an ISO image to the USB storage. Then click on the Rufus. Then on the device drop down at the top of the Rufus program screen, then choose the USB storage device you want to burn the ISO file to. You can assure the Disk or ISO image by click on Boot selection drop down. Click on select and the window appears on the screen. Select the ISO image you want to burn to the flash drive. Then click on the START button to burn the ISO file to the USB file you choose.
- Then a warning will pop up on your screen. You have to click OK. Wait for few minutes.
- When the status at the bottom shows READY. You can close the program and remove the USB drive.
Obtaining copy if you are a student
- Go to the web www.onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8
- Then you have to complete all the details of your school and location.
- Then click on install. Windows 8 will start to download.