A lot of times, most of us might have experienced that while connecting the USB , the computer disagrees to recognize it. The USB remains disconnected and the work remains at halt. Well, there are several reasons possible for this. Either the computer requires update or there might have been some sort of malfunction in the USB. There are various methods to solve this issue and all of the methods are equally effective and function well.
5 Methods To Fix USB Device Not Recognized In Windows
Method 1 Latest Window Updates
The steps that you have to follow are:
- Start by clicking on the “start” button and then look for “window update” option and select it.
- Check for updates and click on “review optional updates.”
- Install the updates.
- Select “I accept” after inspecting the license agreement.
- You have to then follow all the instructions to install the update.
- Reboot your computer, then.
Method 2 Installing Latest Chipset Drivers
To ensure that the computer recognizes the USB, follow the following steps of installing the motherboard’s latest chipset drivers:
- The name of the motherboard manufacturer is recorded in the computer’s documentation. You have to review it.
- As per the manufacturer’s site of your computer, visit it.
- Look through the website to find the perfect drivers for the motherboard. You may also call the computer manufacturer.
Method 3 Reinstall USB Controllers
This method generally works when the USB is corrupter or unstable. The steps are:
- You have to select “device manager” by clicking on “start” and then searching for device manager in the search box.
- Universal serial bus controllers need to be expanded. Select the option of “uninstall” and do the same with each device.
- You will find that the USB controllers have been installed immediately after restarting your computer.
Method 4 Reconnect The External Hard Drive
Follow the following steps with diligence. The steps are:
- After clicking on “start” type “device manager” in the search box.
- From the returned list, click on the “device manager”
- You will not have to select “disk drives” from the list of hardware.
- Click on the option of “uninstall” by clicking the right top.
- Unplug the USB cable only after the process of uninstallation of hard drive is done.
- Plug the USB cable after waiting for few minutes.
- In the windows explorer, check for the USB drive.
Method 5 Prevent USB From Powering Down
This method basically helps in disabling the USB selective suspend thing. The steps to be followed are :
- After selecting the “start” button, look for “power plan” in the search box.
- Pick a power plan.
- You will now have to change the settings of the plan.
- Click on “change advanced power settings.”
- Expand “USB settings “followed by clicking on “USB selective suspend settings.”
- Select the drop down menu after clicking on “plugged in.”
- Select the option “disable” and then select “apply”.
- Click on “Ok” button.
Also Read: Sony Vegas Pro Vs Cyberlink Power Director
To conclude, there are a lot of ways in which this problem can be fixed. You don’t have to be a computer savvy person to solve this. There are a lot of options from which you can select the best and the least time consuming one. Due to minor faults in either the computer or the hard drive, the USB does not get recognized in the windows. The above listed procedures will surely guide you to solve this problem within few minutes. In case, you are not able to do, you can always contact Microsoft product support!